Tuesday 18 September 2012

Decisions, Decisions


The last 48 hours have been somewhat enlightening and distressing all at the same time; do I dare take on a course that I really had no desire to pursue which requires just as much dedication and sacrifice as medicine? Or do I take a great risk and commit myself to try and ace one of the most rigorous tests put forth to undergraduates (GAMSAT).

Firstly, I must apologize to those whose true calling is dentistry; no beef here, its just something that never appealed to me as much as medicine. I spoke to a good family friend of mine who is in their 2nd year of post-graduate dentistry and asked them what the difference is between dentistry and medicine (apart from the obvious); they bluntly responded “at the end of a long day of study, med students go out and forget what they’ve learnt with a casual drink. Dent students go home and learn why alcohol is damaging to the gums!” Dentistry, like medicine, requires a passion to the vocation because once the excitement of gaining entry and moving into somewhere new wanes, which I’ve heard occurs within the first month of entry, you’ll only have your passion for your field to get you out of bed every morning.

After much deliberation, I have concluded that I will decline my provisional dentistry CSP offer and work next year. Despite the fact I haven’t landed a job yet, my decision isn’t to work but more so to enable a summer of free studying. The decision I have reached wasn’t reached in haste and taking all things into account, is really the best decision in the long run. It also comes with the altruistic sense that I’ll be relinquishing my offer to someone who actually has a strong desire to study dentistry (Applause at the end, please).

This coming summer will be a tough one, I will have to discipline myself to strictly adhere to a consistent regiment of comprehensive study where I will focus on understanding the mechanics behind concepts rather than the facts that define them. I will aim to have a substantial amount of study done by the 2013 Australian GAMSAT, but if all things go lopsided and I don’t get a great score, then I’ll have the 2013 UK GAMSAT to study for.

All in all, I have made too many decisions in my life where I’ve settled for second best; choosing something else over medicine won’t be one of them.

Yours in confidence,

MTC

No comments:

Post a Comment